Simple Steps to Activate SSL and Install osCommerce Shopping Cart via cPanel
To choose and run an e-commerce website a powerful shopping cart program is very much important to the success of your online business. Shopping Cart plays a very significant role in managing an online store. There are many different kinds of online store management software programs available on the market today.
OsCommerce which is also known as Open Source e-Commerce Solution is one of the most commonly and widely used online shopping cart programs to manage online store or ecommerce site. The osCommerce application can be easily installed through Fantastico in your cPanel control panel. It can be integrate with any web server having PHP and MySQL installed.
This osCommerce shopping cart program is a free software available under the General Public License (GNU). This article will explain you the simple steps to install an osCommerce software as well as steps to configure the dedicated SSL and shared SSL certificate to secure your online transactions.
Steps to install osCommerce Shopping Cart:
1) First login into your cPanel account and click on the Fantastico icon which can be easily notice by a smiling icon at you on bottom of your main page.
2) Now, navigate to the “E-commerce” section and simply click on the “osCommerce” link.
3) Next, click on the “New Installation” link.
4) Now its time to go through a multi-step procedure in order to define the installation location:
- Select your domain from the drop-down menu on which you want to install osCommerce.
- Enter the name of the directory where you wish osCommerce to be installed.
Remember that never add dashes in the “install in directory” field. Enter a simple phrase of the new folder or else every time the installation will fail.
- Re-check the information you have entered in the above fields. If you wish you customers to access your e-commerce site using “http://domain.com” then leave the “Install in Directory” field blank. Or if you already have an existing website, you want to enter a given directory name in that field. Suppose, if you decide to use “store” as the directory name, customers would access your osCommerce online store by visiting “http://domain.com/store”.
5) After entering the required information for the installation destination, enter a user name and password for your osCommerce administrative area.
6) Lastly, enter the name of your store, an owner name, and valid email address.
Steps to Activate SSL Certificate:
Once you have the installation destination squared away, the proceeding steps are self explanatory. The SSL process deserves a little bit detailed explanation.
1) Set the “Use SSL” option to”Yes”
2) Enter the hostname for your secure server.
Remember, that if you have a dedicated IP address and SSL certificate for your website, just enter your domain name in the next field. If not, simply use the server name entered above.
3) Select the information you want to require from your customers. You will see that these options are pretty straightforward and can be simply set to “Yes or “No.”
4) After entering the information, click on the “Install osCommerce” tab.
5) At last, on the next page click “Finish installation”.
Now, you have successfully installed the osCommerce shopping cart program integrated with an SSL certificate to secure your online transaction. Now, simply open the appropriate URL into the browser to log in and set up your online e-commerce store.
Now all you have to do is the click the provided link or type the appropriate URL into your browser to log in and set up your online store. Checkout the SEO Secrets for E-commerce Websites to boost your online business.
Latest posts by Anup More (see all)
- What is Data Center or Data Centre? - May 14, 2013
- 5 Effective Ways to Save Energy in the Data center - May 8, 2013
- Email in the Cloud - April 26, 2013
- What is M2M? - April 26, 2013
- Virtual Desktops in the Cloud – Is it good for Corporate World? - April 26, 2013